2009/01/10

Recipe for Chicken Pot Pie

When I buy meat, I will buy the cheapest cuts of chicken that I can find. I often purchase the thighs and drumsticks, because they are cheaper than the breasts. When I do buy the breast I buy it with the skin on and remove it myself. There is no sense in paying for the butcher to remove the skin, when I can do it for free.

Sometimes I find that buying a whole uncut chicken is cheaper to buy than one that is cut up. When I find a buy like that I buy several of them. My son-in-law is a former meat cutter, so he does the sectioning and skinning for me, if I ask him to.

This is what you will need to make chicken pot pie:

1 family size of chicken thighs or your choice of cut.
1 chopped onion
1 bag of frozen mixed vegetables ( I use these: Peas, carrots, corn, and celery)
1 envelope of white gravy mix
1 can of cream of chicken soup
2 tablespoons of butter
2 tablespoon of EVOO (extra virgin olive oil)
1 cup of sour cream (or plain yogurt if you prefer)
1 cup low fat milk

Here is what you do:

Heat up a skillet on the stove with the olive oil and butter. When the pan gets hot place the chicken in the pan to cook. Let the chicken sear on the outside and then lower the heat and cook the chicken until tender. When the chicken is fully cooked, remove the pieces from the pan and put them on a plate to cool. While the chicken is cooling add the onions, vegetables, milk, soup and gravy mix to the chicken drippings. When the chicken is cool take the meat off the bones and cut up in bite sized pieces. Add the pieces of chicken back into the skillet. When the vegetables are done, add stir in the sour cream.

Spray an oblong baking dish with nonstick spray. Pour the mixture into the dish and smooth the top and let it sit until you make the crust.

Now for the crust:

I make the crust out of biscuits. Sometimes I use Grands biscuits, sometimes I make them. When I make biscuits from scratch I like to use Bisquick.

1 and 1/4 cups of Bisquick or self rising flour
1 stick of butter or margarine
1 and 1/4 cup of low fat milk

Add the Bisquick or flour into a mixing bowl. Add the butter and work it into the flour. I like to use my hands, but you might want to use a fork or a utensil for cutting shortening into flour. Work the milk into the flour mixture.

You can make the biscuits by hand or roll them out on a floured surface. I like to roll them out and cut them out with a biscuit cutter. Place the biscuits all over the surface of the pie. Place the biscuits close together, but not touching. I usually place the biscuits about 1/4 inch apart. When the pie bakes the biscuits rise and fill out covering the pie.

Bake the pie at 375 degrees for about 18 to 20 minutes. When the biscuits are done the pie is done and ready to eat.

Enjoy!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I have always want to know how to make chicken pot pie without having to bake a pie crust I will defiantly be trying your recipe.

Unknown said...

I am a type 2 diabetic so I use low-carb tortillas for the top and bottom crust when I make Pot Pies.
I will be trying your recipe to see if it will work for diabetics. Who knows with a little substitutions it may become a favorite of mine.

Anonymous said...

Hi Jannie, I hope you enjoy this recipe.

Anonymous said...

Hi Shirley,

That's a good idea about the tortillas for a bottom crust. I never bother with the bottom crust, I just like the top crust. Certainly you can make substitutions where necessary. Hope you enjoy it!

Blogger Templates by OurBlogTemplates.com 2007