2009/01/18

Recipe for Southern Macaroni Salad

Macaroni salad is another dish I grew up on. I think the recipe changes from one area of the country to another. My dad's recipe for macaroni salad contained green English peas, and you can use green peas if you wish, but I have expanded my macaroni recipe to contain black eyed peas, rather than English peas.

Here is what you need to make Southern macaroni salad:

1 large boiling pot
1 pound of your favorite macaroni (I use elbows or bow ties)
2 tablespoons of olive oil
1/3 cup of apple cider vinegar
3 stalks of chopped celery
1 large onion
Jalapeno peppers (as many as you want) optional
1/4 cup of salad olives (sliced)
1/4 cup of diced pimento
2 cups of black beans (canned or left over cooked from dry) or substitute the black eyed peas for green English peas if you prefer.
1 can of drained black olives (pitted and chopped)
1/2 cup mayonnaise
2 tablespoons of Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon of Louisiana Hot Sauce (optional - I like to stump my toe on the hot sauce.. I love it!)
1 teaspoon of salt
3/4 teaspoon of pepper

Here is what you do to make Southern macaroni salad:

Boil the macaroni in a large pot of water. I like to pour about a tablespoon of salt in the water as I cook the macaroni. When the macaroni is cooked drain it, and place it into a large mixing bowl. Add all the other ingredients. Mix well. Serve with garlic toast if you like. This is a complete meal.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Blogger Templates by OurBlogTemplates.com 2007