2009/01/12

Recipe for Diabetic Friendly Strawberry Shortcake

I grew up on strawberry shortcake. My dad had the best recipe for diabetic friendly strawberry shortcake that I have ever eaten. This recipe is so simple. There is no added sugar. The shortcake is nothing more than a biscuit covered in mashed strawberries in artificial sweetener, and topped with whipped cream.

Here is my recipe for diabetic friendly strawberry shortcake:

This recipe is so simple. I use Bisquick to make the biscuits. Make however many biscuits as you want, and follow the directions on the box. Do not add any sugar to the biscuits. I find that Bisquick makes the best of all biscuit recipes that I have ever tried.

Prepare washed fresh strawberries by taking the green tops off them and place them in a bowl. Add 1 cup of Splenda (If you are not diabetic and want to use sugar you may). Mash the strawberries with a potato masher, so that the juice comes out of the strawberries. Now add a small amount of red sugar free strawberry syrup if desired.

Now split the biscuits in half and pour the strawberries onto the biscuits and top with sugar free whipped cream if desired. What is strawberry shortcake without whipped cream? You will love it whether you are diabetic or not.

Here is my diabetic recipe for whipped cream:

1 cup of heavy cream
1 teaspoon of vanilla
2 teaspoons of Splenda

Whip this mixture with an electric mixer for about 3 or 4 minutes, or until the whipped cream is nice and fluffy.

Enjoy!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I finally got over in your new blog. I am sending this strawberry receipt to my son who is a diabetic. Thanks Ken AKA eeyore39

Anonymous said...

As a diabetic, I thank you for this recipe. It's nice to know I can have one of my favorite recipes! In So California we raise most of the world's strawberries, so this will be a staple at my house!

The Gatekeeper said...

Yeah, awesome recipe. And the blog looks fantastic.

Anonymous said...

Thank you Ken for coming by my blog. Your son will love it. My family does. I appreciate your comment.

Anonymous said...

Hi April! I wish I lived in California to have fresh strawberries all the time. I love them and try to buy some each month for shortcake. My family loves it.

Anonymous said...

Thank you the Gatekeeper. I appreciate your coming by! :)

Blogger Templates by OurBlogTemplates.com 2007