2009/01/10

Recipe for Healthy Homemade Pizza

When I was growing up I didn't know we were poor. We had a home and food on the table. Almost recipe dad made was homemade, rather than packaged. He had a garden all my life as a kid and young adult. Unlike Dad, I don't have a garden; so most of my recipes are almost homemade. The next recipe I am going to share with you is my almost homemade pizza.


First you want to make the crust. It's not hard. Here is what I do:

This recipe will make two large pizzas or 6 small ones. You can always freeze the extra pizza if you aren't going to eat it right away.

2 cups of whole wheat flour
2 and 1/2 cups of all purpose flour
1 and 1/2 teaspoon of salt
2 envelopes of instant yeast
1 and 3/4 cups of cold water
2 tablespoons of olive oil
Nonstick olive oil spray (I like PAM spray)

This is an easy recipe to make. In a large mixing bowl add your dry ingredients. Add the oil to the water and pour it over the dry ingredients. You can use a bread mixer if you want to, otherwise just mix it with a fork until the wet and dry ingredients are fully incorporated.

When you are through mixing the dough, sprinkle some flour out on a dry surface. Knead the dough for about 5 to 7 minutes. Then cut the dough in half, or if you want to make personal sized pizzas cut the dough up into 6 even pieces. You can do that by shaping the dough into a log and then cutting it.

Press your pizza dough onto your pizza pan. Spray a light coating of olive oil. If you choose to make 6 individual pizza crusts flour your surface and press out the dough into small disks, and place them on flat baking pans. Lightly spray them with olive oil just like stated above for the full size pizzas.

Now for the sauce:
This part is easy. Use your favorite brand of pizza sauce. I like to use Rago or Prego brand of spaghetti sauce in my pizza recipes. Spoon on the sauce until all the crust is covered except for about a half inch border around the pizza. Top with your favorite veggie and/or meat toppings. I like to top my pizzas with onion, peppers, mushrooms, and pepperoni.

Make your pizza recipe your way.

Enjoy!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This sounds very easy and very delicious...I will make it with my grandsons..They can top it anyway they want..Thank you

Anonymous said...

I hope you and your grandson have a lot of fun on this recipe.

Blogger Templates by OurBlogTemplates.com 2007